New Delhi: India and Pakistan on Wednesday summoned Deputy High Commissioners of each other and voiced their concerns over the ceasefire violations for the past few days.
MEA Spokesperson Vikas Swarup tweeted: “DHC of Pakistan was summoned to convey our strong concern on the continued ceasefire violations, & for endangering safety of IHC officials.”
The MEA said in a statement that the Government protested the manner in which the photographs of eight officials of the High Commission of India in Islamabad were prominently displayed in newspapers in the wake of factually incorrect allegations by the Government of Pakistan, and conveyed that this is against basic norms of diplomatic practice and courtesy, besides having the potential to endanger their security and safety.
“It is expected that the Pakistan side will desist from such actions in the future and will ensure the safety and security of all members of the High Commission of India in Islamabad and their families,” read the statement.
Speaking on the ceasefire violation, the statement said :”The Ministry of External Affairs today summoned the Deputy High Commissioner of Pakistan and conveyed the strong concern of the Government of India on the continued violation of ceasefire along the International Border and the Line of Control by Pakistan. Despite calls for restraint, Pakistan forces have committed 16 ceasefire violations since 3 November 2016 alone. ”
“The Government conveyed that such loss of life is unacceptable and is strongly protested. In addition, the injuries to civilians during the shelling by Pakistan forces are deplorable and strongly condemned,” it said.
Meanwhile, Pakistan also summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner on Wednesday and ‘condemned the unprovoked ceasefire violations on 8 November 2016, by the Indian Forces on the LoC in Khuirata and Battal sectors’.
“The Director General (SA & SAARC) summoned the Indian Deputy High Commissioner, today (9 November 2016) and strongly condemned the unprovoked ceasefire violations on 8 November 2016, by the Indian Forces on the LoC in Khuirata and Battal sectors, resulting in shahadat of 4 civilians, Mr. Ashfaq, Mr. Naeem Ghazi, Kulsoom Bibi and a young girl Amna, of 10 years of age and injuries to seven others,” read a statement issued by Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
“So far, this year, India has committed 222 ceasefire violations out of which 184 have been on the LoC and 38 on the Working Boundary, resulting in shahadat of 26 civilians and injuries to 107 others,” he said.
Relationships between India and Pakistan have deteriorated in the past few months.
Commandos of the Indian Army conducted surgical strikes across the Line of Control on Sept 28-29 to destroy terrorist launch pads in the Pak occupied Kashmir.
The strikes took place days after the terror attack on Uri Army camp in which 19 soldiers were killed.
India Blooms News Service